Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Less than a week...

...until my big boy goes back for formal training. On Sunday we'll be driving Don to Guide Dogs and I will say my final goodbyes. I felt like these 1 1/4 years with Don went by so fast. I remember picking up Don and thinking how it would be a long, long, time away when he went back. Now, we're only 5 days from recall day. I know I'm going to miss his a ton- the way his ears go back and he gets all wiggly when I come home from high school, his adventurous spirit, his beautiful brown eyes and big black nose, his big puppy kisses, I could go on and on. Most importantly, I love how Don tries his very hardest and gaives being a puppy in training his all, even when it's hard. Maybe he doesn't ignore the dogs every single time, maybe he steals an object every now and then, but he has come SO far and every time I work with him, I can see his will and effort to do the best his big, confident self can.

Don, I hope you have a great time in formal training. I love you and my greatest hope is whether you are happy wherever you end up, and I know Guide Dogs will make sure of that. Don, thank you for the best year ever!

Above: Don at my volleyball game last week. He's a big fan :D

I hope to post everyday until Don's recall. A couple of questions- any tips for recall day? and for those of you who have raised GDB puppies, how do you do the "Fun Things About My Puppy" sheet? Can you attach other pages?

I have so much to write about; more will come later. I think Don is ready for formal training and really hope he makes it as a guide.

Go DON!

11 comments:

  1. Don is going to do great in formal training! I know you worked so hard with him, he is going to rock those phases!
    For recall day I recommend saying your goodbyes before you get to drop off. I know at the puppy truck, they tell you to take your time saying goodbye, but they secretly want you to hurry up so they can get on with all the things they need to do. Also, if you can try to keep your tears in and make GDB seem super cool and exciting it will make things easier for Don, but I know how hard it is to not cry! You can definitely add more pages to the fun things form and including a few baby pictures is great too!
    I can't remember...are you getting a new puppy?


    Good Luck Don!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness! I can't believe the time has come! You guys have come SUCH a long way. Congratulations on making it to recall. Even that is momentous. Are you getting another puppy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I won't be picking up a puppy when I drop Don off, but REALLY hope to raise one sometime soon :) I know that I will definitely stay in the club and puppysit lots. And I'll be raising again, too- I just have to figure out a good time to get a new pup. Hopefully that won't be too far away :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is Good Luck Don!! :) I can't wait to see you fly through the phases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so soon! I hope you get a new pup soon.. I've missed reading your posts!

    Don will do great in formal training!

    I attached a few of my favorite photos of Spike over the year I had him to the "Fun things about my puppy" sheet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can add anything you'd like to your sheet. Photos and all that. I didn't do much for it because I honestly didn't think that Freya would graduate! HA!

    That's not so far away. :( I'm sure he's going to do great.

    Tips: Don't try not to cry because it'll happen anyway and don't wear make up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it really that time already? WOW, time flies. He's such a handsome dog and will make someone a fine set of eyes! :) Good luck with turn in and Don will be sure to make your proud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Already?! Good luck, Don :) and good luck to you too! Are you going to get another pup anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time has flown by so quickly!! Thanks for sharing Don with us through your blog. I just love him and I'm sure he'll make you proud. I hope your turn in day went well...best wishes for your future raising plans!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm in the middle of raising my first guide dog puppy, too. I dread the day she's off to formal training, but I know she'll do so well.

    Well done to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, he's leaving this Sunday!?!
    I remember when you first got him - he was so cute (and still is!); I can't believe he's leaving this soon! (and I bet you can't either!)
    I hope to see you raising real soon, we'll miss seeing you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete

Katrina and I love to hear from our readers!